Welcome to Travel Photo Roulette, a weekly contest for bloggers to show off their photography, and compete for the chance to host the next edition. Last week’s contest, “Wrinkles”, was judged by Dyanne of Traveln Lass. As winner of the “Wrinkles” contest, I’m inviting submissions for edition #107, to be posted here on Anita’s Feast. The theme I’ve chosen is “Food markets”.
Topic of the week is “Food markets”!
The winning photo was submitted by Juergen of dare2go!
In this photo of the market in Solola, Guatemala (near Lago Atitlan) we see something of the local culture. Although it was difficult to select just one winner, I chose this colorful image because it projects a strong sense of place, along with the unselfconscious camaraderie of the vendors.
Thanks to everyone who submitted photos for consideration, and congratulations, dare 2 go. Over to you for the next installment of Travel Photo Roulette, # 108!
Travel Photo Roulette Contest #107
Anita and I seek out markets wherever we go. We enjoy feasting our eyes on the products and chatting with the people in the market. We think that food markets show a lot about the culture. In my photo (above) of the Saturday market in Basel, Switzerland, City Hall is in the background and the vendor’s food items and supplies are perfectly arranged and aligned. It’s all very Swiss.
If you have a blog, I hope you are asking “What can I submit?”. I’m looking for photos you took in a food market, anywhere in the world. To me, the best photos are those that show people in action: bargaining, shopping, or handling food products, or perhaps eating something delicious.
Now, I invite you to show the rest of us where you’ve been, and submit your liveliest food market shots via comments to this post (see How to submit an entry below).
Travel Photo Roulette Contest Overview
- One submission per blog, if a sites that have 2+ authors it only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (i.e., using Photoshop to remove elements) is not.
- Abstract submissions are welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.”
- Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
How to submit an entry
To enter in the Travel Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with:
- A link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) and
- A short description / background of what’s happening in your photo.
I’ll upload your photo into the post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here throughout the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days, from today, July 6th until midnight EDT (UTC/GMT -4 hour) on Sunday, July 12th when the submission period ends. I will do my level best to select and announce the winner within a few of days of July 12th. The winner will then host the next round of Travel Photo Roulette #108.
This is a list of all the previous winners and themes. Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some fab photographs.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream: Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker: Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream: Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ: Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust: Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back: Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD: Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate: Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky: Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam: Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles: The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet: Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One: Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo: Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies: Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World: Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream: Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest: Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World: Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo: Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter: Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader: Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe: Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer: Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan: City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com: Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart: Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest: Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels: Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls: Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam: Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout: Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel: Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One: Depth of the Field
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba: Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat: Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny: Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss: Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ: Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker: Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away: Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons: Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester: What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno: Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin: Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories: Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker: Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly: Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions: Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters: The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies: Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream: Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped: The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester: Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque: Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker: Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World: Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery: The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet?: Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester: Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World: Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography: Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman: Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel: Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks: Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50: Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller: Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole: Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me: Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence: The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road: Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel: Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia: Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth: Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out: Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet: Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth: The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts: Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream: Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped: Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ: Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan: WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth: Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos?: Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost: Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings: Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel: What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz: Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers: Celebrate
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour: Epic
- May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows: Landscape
- May 2015 We Travel Together: Wildlife
- May 2015 Vagabond Way: Festival
- June 2015 Travel Addicts: Landmarks
- June 2015 TravelnLass: Wrinkles
- July 2015 AnitasFeast: Markets
Good Luck !!
Paula McInerney of Contented Traveler
Juergen of dare2go
In Solola, Guatemala (near Lago Atitlan), the market offers everything: vegetables and fruit, cooked meals, tools, handicrafts, and much more. Most food stalls are set up by wives of small local farmers, so their offerings are very limited. For the locals the market seems to be more of an opportunity to socialize. As a photographer it’s a dream come true to snap some colorful pictures.
Irene of More Time To To Travel
Lance of Travel Addicts
We love food markets around the world. And while locals stock up fruits or vegetables, we search out those things that make a market truly unique – the items that can only come from that place. In the markets of Provence, it was the soft mounds of chevre cheese!
Brent of Travel & Landscape Photography
Sue of Food Travelist
Shere of Shere y Paul